Challenge credit is earned by demonstrating proficiency in course requirements. Students who wish to challenge a class should submit a written request form, available at the Student Services Center, to the appropriate department chair to determine if a challenge exam is allowed. Not every class is subject to challenge. The method of demonstrating proficiency, usually a comprehensive exam, is determined by the appropriate department.
The following guidelines apply to challenge exams:
- The student must be currently enrolled at TVCC.
- Challenge exams may not be repeated.
- Challenge credit is not granted if credit has been earned for a more advanced course.
- A maximum of 12 challenge credits may be earned in a specific subject area.
- A maximum of 24 credits of challenge work may be applied to a TVCC certificate.
- A maximum of 45 challenge credits can be applied to a TVCC degree.
- Challenge credit is normally assigned an "S" (satisfactory grade) and will not aff ect the GPA. No academic record is kept for unsuccessful challenge exams.
- Challenge credit will not aff ect a financial aid award.
- Students must register with instructor permission and pay a $15 fee before taking the challenge exam. In addition, a $10 fee is charged for each credit awarded.
- Advising: 541.881.5815
- Admissions: 541.881.5811
- Financial Aid: 541.881.5833